Although the formal beginning of Zion was January 24, 1915, Zion's history began much earlier. The Reverend Professor E.L. Arndt of Concordia College in St. Paul began conducting services in Hopkins for a few families of Lutherans in 1903.
In 1914 the group which later organized Zion purchased a small church building on 12th Ave. from Norwegian Lutherans. The building was not in use at the time and was obtained for the sum of $600. It was small, meagerly furnished, lighted with kerosene lamps, without pews or a basement, but it well served as a house of God for these dedicated Christian people. On August 8, 1915 Rev. Paul Walther, of Winnipeg, Canada, was called as Zion's first Pastor.
On August 15, 1926 a newly enlarged and remodeled original church building was dedicated.
On October 1, 1950 the current building was constructed on its present site at 241 5th Ave., North, Hopkins. Numerous enlargements and remodeling to Zion have taken place since then. The 2001 portion of additions and remodeling of the church included updating the sanctuary, entry area, parish hall, kitchen, gathering area, nursery and adding an elevator.
2001 also marked the beginning of Zion's Early Childhood Center ministry.
Zion has always been a mission minded congregation. Beginning in 1923 Zion reached out from their home base into the neighboring areas and organized four daughter congregations over the next several years. In each case members of Zion were released to form the nucleus of the new parish. Our Savior, Excelsior began in 1923; St. Lukes, St. Louis Park began in 1935; Bethlehem, Glen Lake began in 1948; and Fairview, Minnetonka was established in 1955.
Today over 100 years after its founding the culture and challenges faced by the world are far different from when Zion had its beginning in a quiet, almost rural community. The focus of the congregation, however, has never wavered. Zion continues to be a thriving, mission minded center for Christians to be fed with God's Word and sacraments. Our desire remains to reach out with the love of Christ to the neighborhood and world we serve.